Tuesday 31 March 2009

Pedro attends Volksworld Car Show

Photobucket

I'd arranged months ago to take Pedro, my Oz Rally car along to Volksworld, one of the UK's largest VW gatherings. There were one or two small issues to contend with, firstly his engine was out for major surgery. Secondly, as customs still haven't sent me the form to prove that I've paid the import tax, I have been unable to UK register him.

The solution? Mark, aka:Dreamshack, quickly swapped in the engine from his beach buggy for show then knocked up a heavy duty A-frame so I could talk my long suffering, older brother into towing Pedro all the way to the showground at Sandown Park, Esher.

Pedro was displayed on the Baja Club stand. To fit in with my forth-coming expedition the Baja Club opted for an Australian themed display. Lots of sand, a blow-up kangaroo and some mock roadsigns later and you'd have thought you were in the outback! Well, maybe after a few tubes of Fosters!

I painted some DANGER! MINES! signs to highlight the cause I'm supporting on this rally, No More Landmines, and hung a few of their collecting tins around. Almost everone who walked past the car took a photo! Just £50 can provide a prosthetic limb enabling a mine victim to walk again. Just think how many people we could have helped if each person who took a photo had made a donation! Sadly, very few did. I did manage to sell some of my "Bug to Banjul" DVD's though which, with the profits going to No More Landmines helped boost the fundraising. I don't want to break the seals on the fundraising tins so can't give you a total on that yet but the DVD's made around £70, not bad going.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment