Sunday 1 March 2009

Goodwood Breakfast Club - March '09

Today I drove down to the Goodwood Breakfast Club.

The Breakfast Club is an informal car gathering at the Goodwood Motor Circuit in West Sussex. Each month has a different theme, this months theme was Small Sporting Runarounds although this seemed to be quite loosely translated. Parked on the famous tarmac were everthing from Classic and modern Minis to vintage tourers. I love the way this guy had matched his socks to his wheels!


This Noble was parked in a little corner of it's own....not sure about those wing mirrors!The breakfast rolls and Tea were a little overpriced but as this is an open event with no entrance fee you can't really complain at £1.50 for a cuppa. A cash machine on site would be a useful addition though.


After a morning of pure petrol hedonism, fellow Oz rallier, Rachael and I headed down to The Kennels for lunch. I've been a Goodwood Road Racing Club member for more years than I care to admit, for fear of revealing my age, but I've never visited our clubhouse - The Kennels.

Rica, my rally co-driver, is going to wish she was on this side of the Atlantic when I decribe the lunch we devoured! To start; a lovely delicate pasta with chestnuts and a yummy sauce. Main course; pollock with orzo and tiny shrimps in it. (Sorry Rica, I realise my descriptions are lacking something for a chef - and I didn't take any pictures for you)

We hadn't intended on ordering dessert but everthing else was so good, how could we resist? White chocolate mousse with bitter dark chocolate sorbet and raspberry's!

When we went for lunch I'd left my baby Sebring(right of frame) parked next to two Austin Healey 3000's and an MGA.

When we returned they had been transformed into 612 Italian horses.
I may have been tempted to swap for a moment but I've owned "Killer", thats his registration, for 11 years now. I've been tempted to sell him a few times and been offered far more than I paid for him but I just can't do it! It's terribly cruel of me really. If I'd sold him he could be living in the lap of luxury in an air-conditioned garage BUT, as I've always said, cars are made to be driven!
Like me Killer is starting to show his age, we both have a few grey hairs but they are marks of all the fun we've had over the years. I hope he doesn't get jealous of the old Beetle I've bought for the OZ rally!
Watch out for Pedro, my Baja Beetle rally car, at the Goodwood Breakfast Club next month when the theme is family favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment